Mitral Valve Repair
Mitral valve is a valve that allows the blood to flow from one chamber of the heart known as left atrium to another known as left ventricle. Mitral valve repair is the surgery to treat different diseases and conditions of the mitral valve.
In case of mitral valve regurgitation, the leaflets of the mitral valve don’t close tightly which causes the blood to leak backward into the left atrium. Each time the left ventricle contracts, the blood will leak backwards.
In case of mitral valve stenosis, there is narrowing of mitral valve. As the valve does not open properly, blood flow will be blocked and won’t reach into the main pumping chamber of the heart. This means that not enough blood can flow through it.
Why it’s done
- Longer life is the primary reason.
- Improved lifestyle.
- Better function of heart.
- There will be no need of blood thinners.
- There will be lower risk of stroke and infection also known as endocarditis.
- Best possible treatment for mitral valve stenosis and mitral valve regurgiatation.
- You will be administered anesthesia in this procedure. You will be connected to a heart-lung bypass machine to keep the flow of blood intact.
- This surgery involves patching holes in a valve to reconnect the leaflets of valve and removing excess valve tissue so that the leaflets can close tightly.
- It involves the use of catheter. It is inserted with a clip attached in an artery in the groin and guided it to the mitral valve. The clip is then used to reshape the mitral valve.
- In another procedure, known as balloon valvuloplasty, doctor inserts a catheter with a balloon on the tip of the artery either in arm of the groin and then carefully guides it to the mitral valve. The balloon is inflated expanding the opening of the mitral valve. The balloon is then deflated and removed along with the catheter.
- After the procedure, you will be shifted to Intensive Care Unit (ICU). Nutrition and fluids will be given to you via IV lines. Urine and fluid from your bladder and blood will be removed with the help of tubes.